The opposite of WIAW

The common thing to do around here in blog land, and something I have enjoyed the last few weeks, is doing a What I Ate Wednesday post.  However, this is going to be quite the opposite.  I can tell you in a few words the things I have eaten in the last week: Gatorade, a slice of bread, dry Chex rice cereal, and chicken broth.  That’s about it, and not much of that was absorbed into my body.  The last several days have been rough and I’m so glad to be feeling human again.  If you think something is not right with you, please go to the doctor earlier rather than later.  Here is what has been going on the last 6 days. PS- I’m keeping this as clean as possible but wanted to share just in case you ever experience this!

Thursday: I woke up feeling great.  I ate breakfast like usual and then started having some stomach cramps.  Sometimes I will say my ‘stomach’ hurts when it isn’t actually my stomach more like entire GI, but this was my actual stomach. I finished getting Brice ready then had that oh no feeling (<– we’re just going to call it the ‘oh no’ feeling from here on out).  I really didn’t have an appetite the rest of the morning but other than that felt okay.  I drank some Gatorade and had one of Brice’s GoGoSqueez pouches and started feeling fine after lunch time.  Thursday night I still felt great and ate a regular dinner.

Friday: Around 1am I woke up so incredibly nauseous.  I was able to fight it off but not for long.  I ended up throwing up several times between 2-6am.  I stayed home from work and had to take several trips to the bathroom with the oh no feeling throughout the day.  I never had a fever but just figured it was a 24-48 hour stomach bug that I just needed to wait out.  Colin brought me home some chicken nuggets from Chick-fil-a because he really wanted me to eat, and I just couldn’t do it.  Friday night I forced myself to eat and the only thing that sounded good was some bread from a local restaurant.  Colin ordered him and Brice dinner and got me an extra soup and lots of fresh bread.  I don’t think I even ate half of a slice before I was feeling nauseous again.

Saturday: Again from 1-5am I threw up several times again.  At one point during the night I seriously thought I was dying and was very close to getting Colin to take me to the ER.  Now I’m not one to take medicine or go to the doctor for just anything so the very fact that these thoughts were going through my head speaks volumes for how badly I was feeling.  Miraculously when I woke up that next morning (more like when Brice decided it was time to wake up because Colin had one last 2 hour ride outside) I was feeling slightly better, I still got the oh no feeling a few time after waking up.  I knew I had absolutely nothing left in my body so I made a bowl of plain oatmeal and was able to eat a few bites.  I actually felt well enough, and my stomach calm enough, to leave the house for a little bit.  We took Brice to something called Kids Dig It put on by our local 4H club where they had all kinds of trucks, tractors, and little RC helicopters and airplanes.  Basically, a little boys paradise.  We went to lunch afterwards and I was able to eat a bowl of soup.  I was exhausted by this point from barely eating anything all day so we went home and I took a solid 2.5 hour nap with Brice.  I really think Brice could sense that I was not feeling well because he was very cuddly and rather calm these first few days.  After my nap I still felt okay, so we went over to a friend’s house to celebrate his 30th bday.  The whole time I felt very wiped out and spent the last almost two hours just sitting on the couch because I had zero energy.  I was able to eat a little bit more food, but not much.

Sunday: Around 1:30am Brice threw up for the first time, yes it happened again.  He was so pathetic and kept crying and saying ‘all done’, it was breaking my heart.  I was praying/hoping/begging that he had not caught what I had and it was just from the hot dogs he had eaten for dinner. After a quick rinse off and lots of snuggles he finally fell back asleep and fortunately was fine in the morning.  I said I would take being sick 5 times over instead of him getting that bug, and we won’t be eating hot dogs for a while.  While Brice woke up feeling fine, I did not.  I was still having the oh no feeling and was feeling nauseous again.  It was kind of coming and going but I knew whatever was wrong with me wasn’t your run of the mill stomach bug.  I did manage to eat a little dinner which sent me to the bathroom not much later.  On Sunday I also started having to burp a LOT.  I’m not a gassy person by nature so this was really weird, plus the burps were not pleasant tasting.

Monday: I woke up and immediately had the oh no feeling.  I tried to force myself to eat, and just couldn’t.  I went to work and did snack on some dry Chex rice cereal over the course of the morning and sipped on Gatorade.  Me and food were just not getting along and I had no appetite whatsoever.  I had a pretty bad headache all day which I will attribute to no nutrition and that made it very hard to concentrate on work.  By the time I left work I was feeling a little hungry but again, no food sounded good.  I think I ate a few crackers or something once I got home, but that was about it.  Around 5pm I started to feel really bloated and gassy again.  Like the kind of gas pains that stop you in your tracks.  My stomach was so bloated, I kid you not, I looked 4-5 months pregnant.  I told Colin and Brice that I was off duty and was going to soak in a hot bath.  That helped alleviate some of the pain and did make me feel better.  The rest of the night my stomach was very, as I call it, rumbly.

Tuesday: I woke up, and once again, immediately had the oh no feeling.  At this point I said enough is enough and took myself to the doctor.  I didn’t have an appointment and they were slammed so it took a while to be seen but luckily I got to see one of Colin’s favorite doctors (Colin works with a lot of doctors/nurses with his job so he knows who the goods ones are.) My mom had texted me and told me not to accept a BS diagnosis so I made sure to not leave out any details for the doctor and told him I was sick of being sick.  The diagnosis was bacterial gastroenteritis.  He prescribed me a strong antibiotic and some Phenergan if I started feeling nauseous again.  He also sent me to get some blood work done to test a few other things just to make sure he wasn’t missing anything at all.  He also ordered me to a bland diet, when I felt like I could eat, and plenty of hydration.  I couldn’t pick up the medicine until about 3:30 and I took it immediately.  When I got home later and I started feeling those gas pains/bloating coming on again I about lost it.  I was to the point that I was just so frustrated with being sick, I was irritable and was being short with both Colin and Brice.  It’s hard for a 19 month old to understand that mommy can’t play because her tummy hurts.  Also, it was frustrating that I was hurting and feeling so badly I couldn’t even get excited about Colin’s Ironman that is THIS WEEKEND.  I forced myself to eat some dinner and my stomach actually felt okay afterwards!! As I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep, it was making very loud rumbling noises but that’s all that ever happened.

This morning when I woke up, I FELT HUMAN AGAIN.  I was hungry, I ate, it was delicious, and I felt fine!  This whole bacterial infection is no joke.  The timing was horrible (better last weekend than this one though) but the worst is finally over.  The downside (other than the entire aspect of being sick) is that over the last 6 days I lost 6.5 pounds from not eating and having everything I did put in my body, not stay very long.  I’m not at a point in my life where I am trying to lose any weight so this has left me feeling rather sluggish, and I know it’s going to take a while to recover.  That being said I am about 95% sure that I am not going to do the race that I had planned for this weekend.  My body has been through a lot and I don’t think it would be a good idea to push myself.  I only ran twice last week, unless you count all the running to the bathroom HA!.  So I’ll just have to cut my losses and focus on recovering and getting prepared for the 15K on the schedule for next month.  The only bright side of this whole thing is that it was bacterial and not viral so thank goodness it was me and not Brice or Colin who got it.

Have you ever had a bacterial stomach/GI infection??

What’s the weirdest/most rare illness you have ever had?

6 responses to “The opposite of WIAW

  1. I’m a bit of a hypochondriac because I have vertigo…so every time I don’t feel well, I get very very ansy. After day 3 of what you went through…ahhh, who am I kidding, after day 2, I would have tapped out and went to the ER.

    • Hahaha at least you admit to it! 😉 I couldn’t imagine having vertigo though, that doesn’t sound fun at all.

  2. You poor thing–you are still sick?? I feel like you have been sick forever! The weirdest illness i have is my chronic one, but i have had chicken pox twice. I will likely also get the bubonic plague at some point, let’s be honest.
    Please tell me me you will be ok for Colin’s Ironman!!

    • Twice?? I thought you could only get that once. After the second dose of antibiotics I’m finally better. No matter what I had to do, I was going to make sure I was okay for this Ironman!

    • Thanks! After the second dose of antibiotics I’m feeling all better. I really wouldn’t wish what I went through in my worst enemy… Okay maybe I would. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s